20.6.09

New House

Well, I understand the rumors are flying. And, they are true. I'm moving. More importantly, I'm moving in with Lacey. She is moving from California back to Utah and has just closed on a house up on 13th Ave., above the 11th Ave. park. So my friend Rod took some pics of the new pad... It's really quite the place, tons of room, more than any two old farts should consider at this age (assisted living is probably more appropriate), but it more than met our space requirements, was in great shape, and was quite the deal. Nice having some capital to purchase in this down market.

It was the grandchild that did it. Eliza, now one year old, was the big draw to bring Lacey back to Utah.

So, now some pics... First, the view...


Lots of rain in Utah this June. We are turning into Portland. Now, the entrance with stairwell and dining room, also the kitchen...




And more dining room...


There's also a big family room with fireplace off the kitchen, and a living room in the front of the house which I want to see done as a large office/library. There is some opposition to that idea however. My point is that no one uses living rooms anymore, but offices are very important these days. That's where the time is spent, so should get the good view. I suspect we will have a living room... Unfortunately, we did not get good pics of the family room or living room, so those areas will have to remain a mystery until you visit.

But there is a great laundry room, with a big closet and lots of cabinets...


And lots of bathrooms, great for we prostate challenged... I get my own, upstairs, where the toilet seat will always be up... The sink fixture somehow says it all (a little fruity, but definitely manly).


It's hard to capture the rooms themselves. But here is a shot of the master bedroom looking towards the master bath (where the toilet seat will always be down).


The house was built in 1975, I suspect before master bedrooms got very large. So this one is still small by today's building standards. But, somehow, I think we will manage. Now, the master bathroom and jetted tub. Hopefully the scene of much hanky panky...


And the cool shower...


Three bedrooms upstairs. One will be an office (if my brilliant ideas for converting the living room are overruled), and one fitted out for the grandchild's visits. Note the cool light fixture (somehow, I think it will be replaced... damned classicists anyway).


Now for the real thrill. For a long time, I've wanted a studio for my various audio interests (CD production and recording). I may have found the near ideal space. Some pics of the "man cave" (doghouse).




Again, pics hardly do the space justice. There's also another two bedrooms downstairs. One will be my workroom for electronic repair. The other will be a guest bedroom. There's a nice bathroom downstairs as well.


There's also a large two car garage under the upstairs bedrooms, with a large storage room (wine cellar!). And a very large industrials room...


A lot of work has gone into this house to keep it updated. There are some problems, but minor. Of course, it's not just the way I'd like it, but it's close. Now a couple shots of the back yard...



Yep, that's a hot tub. Oh, boy! And above it is a horseshoe setup! And enough room for competition croquet! Lacey's looking for a classic croquet set, I'm looking for one with titanium hoops and carbon fiber mallets. Let the conflicts begin!

Now comes the hard part, actually getting decades of accumulation up to the new place. Could take years! Lacey is keeping her home in Orange County, since she will still work down there quite a bit. I'm hoping to keep my place for a couple years (rent it out), at least until the market comes back (if ever). We will see how things go.

No comments: