5.1.10

Studio 13


We inaugurated Studio 13 over the holidays. Willis drove up from LA and gathered a few friends together for a little jazz jam. Met Jake the bass player for the first time, a hellava player! Dave Chisholm and Steve Lyman were the "usual suspects".

The recording was simple, 6 mikes into my Metric Halo 2882. No effects were used for the raw recording into the MIO console application on my MBP. Everything sounds great at this point, Willis thinks there is too much "room" in the recording. Certainly some acoustic treatment to the basement facility is in my future, but for now, I'm happy with the results.

Now to mix and master the recording. This will be the hard part (everyone has an opinion on how it should be done).

Anyway, my studio project is at last up and running to the point where we can get some good stuff. I can get 8 channels into the 2882, with another 8 digitally connected from a new Focusrite OctoPre MkII. Can't imagine ever going above 16 inputs, it would boggle my mind to handle (and mix) any more than that. But I'll spend years tweaking and perfecting.

Studio 13??? Well, we are just off of 13th Ave...

No comments: