8.1.12

Bismarck in January


Yes, Bismarck, North Dakota in January. What the hell am I doing here in January? What the hell am I doing here at all? Well, North Dakota has a tendency to flood badly in the Spring (the Missouri River being just one culprit). So I'm up here with FEMA to attend some meetings revolving around disaster planning for the next floods. Thankfully, the weather at the moment is wonderful, sunny and warm (40's). Hope it holds.

Anyway, a neat little airport (new terminal) with quite the welcoming committee.



Here's the crew upon arrival.


I didn't get to see much of Bismarck today, since after checking into the local Radisson, we decided to meet for the football playoffs. The architecture in this part of town is pretty functional, to say the least.


I did find the McKenzie, one of those fine old hotels of the past, but no longer a hotel, unfortunately. Civic pride hasn't gotten around to renovating it yet.


Yeah, I know Jerome is about 50 miles away, but I don't think I'll get a chance to see him this trip. I don't know how meeting him would go anyway, for 10 minutes it might be cool.

But the bars are plentiful and cheap. Here's where we hung out for the game, next to the railroad tracks. More tomorrow...

No comments: