11.8.15

Euro Trip--Back in Lyon

After our road trip, we had a few days in Lyon before I returned home.  I'd always wanted to visit the modern art museum in Lyon, so we hopped on the bus and took off to check out MAC-Lyon.  Overall, I think we were disappointed, the exhibits really didn't speak to us.  There was a major exhibit of modern art from Singapore, which had some cool pieces, but also had some very weird and disturbing stuff (Miriam can add a comment about the dead commies...).  Anyway, a few pics from the exhibit...






The museum is located in a modern development called Cité Internationale, an area of housing, theaters, restaurants, offices, etc.  A couple interesting sculptures...





(Yep, that BMW motorcycle was some piece of work...  real modern art).

At the end of the plaza was the headquarters of Interpol...  I wanted a pic on the stairs in front of the building, but couldn't get close...  are they afraid of a simple tourist???  But then I was almost arrested for this pic!  My goodness, Interpol is infamous, intriguing, spy vs. spy, international crime, I wanted more of it...  No tours???


Across the road is the major park in Lyon, the Parc de la Tete d'Or...  A wonderful place, with an emphasis on roses at the time we were there.  Some pics...




The next day, a big world festival began in the center of Lyon on Place Bellecour.  An amazing amount of countries had booths, particularly the African countries.  But I was immediately attracted to the Peruvian booth where Pisco was available.  I never imagined there were so many varieties...




And over at the Cuban booth, a very interesting rum...


And we won't talk about the Belgians, who were passing out samples of their beers...  Just to say those folks are insane!  A small sample and I was on my ass...  There was also a big international parade down the Rue de la Republique...  but I had to catch a plane (I did get to see the parade on a previous visit to Lyon).

So I'll finish Lyon with the most famous landmark, the cathedral at Fouvier.




No comments: