9.6.09

More Odds and Ends From Lyon


This is the poster for the big world cultural event we attended over the weekend. Strange, while on the Bellcour grounds, we couldn't find any banner or other mention of the actual event! Found this walking down the street some ways away. Now I know what we experienced!

I've decided the French are as fucked up as we Americans are. Well, maybe not quite as much, but almost. I thought traveling to France I'd notice a big change in people and attitudes. Not really, the French dress the same, act the same, for the most part. Businessmen in their suits and ties appear as sad as American businessmen. Beaten down by the system. And the French are all wearing those stupid rectangular eyeglasses (I'm so over that style). Kids are as crazy, and punk and goth, as teenagers in the US. And, like any major city, crime and trash exist similarly.


We found the above graffiti in a middle eastern neighborhood. I do love good graffiti for its artistic value, if in an appropriate place. What I hate is the stupid "tagging" that's everywhere, particularly on the historical buildings and in the ancient neighborhoods. Sad...

Curiously, the gangstas here, instead of driving big SUVs, prefer the larger BMWs and Audis, black of course... Sort of Euro -Gangstas, since they are "white" rather than "blacks"...

Of course, most cars are very small, and many are quite cool. The streets are so narrow, and parking is such a premium, and gas prices so high, small cars are a necessity. But you can still "pimp your ride" (this one is for Matt Peters...):


What I will give the French over Americans is a generally higher aesthetic: better design, better style, fresher food, a greater appreciation of life somehow (long, enjoyable meals!). Even the dreaded rectangular eyewear often attracts my attention with some amazing stylistic variations on the theme. Simple things like light switches are really cool! I even took a picture of the apartment circuit breaker box!


And I've posted pics of the public transit vehicles. So cool looking you want to ride them!

On another tangent, we are "downtown" yesterday on a big shopping street. One store was changing their window display... the perv in me got excited...


Further down the street was another window display of very expensive women's clothing. The mannequines were all gold, and rather detailed. Of course I wanted to see those mannequines in the nude! OK, I'll quit...

Last for this post is a colorful floral sculpture I just had to get a shot of. Hope you enjoy...

No comments: